For Immediate Release
September 8, 2017
For more information, contact
National Weather Service to Declare Brockport “StormReady” Sept. 11
Brockport just one of 10 colleges in New York State to receive the distinction
BROCKPORT, NY—The National Weather Service will certify The College at Brockport, State University of New York, as “StormReady” during an 11:30 am ceremony on Monday, Sept. 11 in the Eagle’s Lookout Room in the Tuttle North Athletic Complex (overlooks Eunice Kennedy Shriver Stadium).
Brockport is just one of 10 colleges and universities across New York State that has met a set of rigorous warning reception and dissemination criteria necessary to achieve the distinction. To be recognized as StormReady, a community must:
• Establish a 24-hour warning point and emergency operations center;
• Have more than one way to receive severe weather forecasts and warnings and to alert the public;
• Create a system that monitors local weather conditions;
• Promote the importance of public readiness through community seminars;
• Develop a formal hazardous weather plan, which includes training severe weather spotters and holding emergency exercises.
“StormReady encourages universities to take a proactive approach to improving local hazardous weather operations and public awareness,” said Judith Levan, Meteorologist in Charge at the Neational Weather Service Weather Forecast Office in Buffalo, N.Y. “StormReady arms universities with improved communication and safety skills needed to save lives and property—before and during the event.”
Levan says that the United States is the most severe weather prone region of the world, which makes being StormReady even more important.
“This designation is just the latest commitment The College at Brockport has made to emergency management and preparedness,” said Frederick Rion, Brockport’s Emergency Manager. “This StormReady designation is just one of many initiatives the College is working on to ensure that our community is prepared for any event or situation that may arise.”
September is Emergency Preparedness Month in the United States.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York
350 New Campus Drive * Brockport, New York 14420-2931
(585) 395-2754 * FAX (585) 395-2723 * www.brockport.edu