I hope you had a good break with family and friends over the Thanksgiving holiday. It is always great to stop for a moment and think about what we are all grateful for, and the many supports we have in our lives. As I mentioned at the last Senate meeting of the year, I am optimistic about the future and Brockport’s capacity to thrive even in uncertain environments. I am grateful to be surrounded by award-winning faculty and staff, and students who are flourishing under our care and direction. We have so much to be proud of on our campus and beyond, and I know that this is due to your hard work and dedication.
This newsletter is coming only a few weeks after the last one, because I know that the next two weeks will be busy as we close out the fall semester, and as students begin to prepare for and take their final exams.
You will have seen a series of Daily Eagle messages about the shortened Winter Shutdown this year, coming from HR. As a reminder, because we are a state agency, using your leave accruals is required during dates that the institution provides reduced services.
As a reminder, the academic calendar for the spring 2020 semester has changed compared to previous years. For example, classes for the semester begin on Thursday, January 23, which is a departure from the traditional Monday start of classes.
This change also will impact the dates that students return to and move into residence halls, as well as our Commencement ceremonies.
- Thursday, January 23: First day of classes
- Tuesday, May 5: Last Day of Classes
- Wednesday, May 6: Reading Day. Reading Day is intended to promote an academic value that is parallel to a scheduled class day. The Reading Day is intended to provide time for students to pursue academic work which is most appropriate for them, including preparing for final exams.
- Thursday, May 7: Final Exams begin
- Thursday, May 14: Graduate Commencement Ceremony, ROTC Commissioning Ceremony, Teacher Certification Ceremony, Nursing Ceremony
- Friday, May 15: Undergraduate Commencement ceremonies
Employees receiving DSI merit awards (including presidential merit awards) will receive a letter from Human Resources by December 20 indicating their award amount, which will be payable in the January 8, 2020 payroll. Also included in that payroll will be any salary compression/inequity adjustments for those employees deemed eligible to receive one through the methodologies and formulas agreed to by SUNY and UUP. More details on the salary compression/inequity process will be forthcoming in a subsequent message.
Did You Know?
Our total fall 2019 online course credits came in at 11,229. This is a remarkable figure, given the fact that a few years ago, we had only a few courses or programs on line.
- Our Golden Eagles football team had another outstanding season and advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division III Championships. Our volleyball team won the SUNYAC Championship and also made the NCAA tournament. These are outstanding achievements, and if you have any of the student-athletes in your classes or residence halls, do please let them know how proud we are of their success.
- The 4th Annual Brockport Gala raised more than $177,000 to support scholarships, study abroad, undergraduate research, and more. Student speaker Jessica Rodriguez shared her inspirational story with the audience and our four keynote presenters – Jim Goldthwait ’82, Stu Krieger ’73, Gabrielle Loren ’10, and Paul Overacker ’95 – shared their career paths that landed them in Hollywood. Kudos to Jamie Beers-Wilson and the team in Advancement for the hard and creative work that went into all aspects of the evening. Thanks to all who attended, sponsored, donated, won auction items or generously gave during “Bidding to Build.” Information on the 5th annual Gala in 2020 will be forthcoming. Photos are available at the link below. Use the password “Brockport” to access them. https://brockport.photoshelter.com/galleries/C00006Y4D2F7vBTE/G00009q11qkNhFH4/2019-Winter-Gala.
I hope you have relaxing time with friends and family during the holiday season, and I wish you all the best for 2020!
Thank you for all that you do to help Build a Better Brockport!