Position & Job Summary
Reporting to the President, the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs serves
as the senior academic officer, and has primary responsibility for leadership, management,
strategic direction, policy development, and administrative oversight for the Division
of Academic Affairs. The Provost shapes the academic vision for the College and works
collegially to ensure that the College maintains the highest standards of intellectual
rigor and curricular and co-curricular innovations. The Provost also ensures that
the Division of Academic Affairs upholds the highest standards of service to SUNY
Brockport and the community, and has an unwavering commitment to equity, diversity
The Provost provides administrative leadership and oversight of the Division of Academic
Affairs, which includes the schools of Arts and Sciences; Business and Management;
and Education, Health and Human Services; along with Drake Memorial Library; the Center
for Global Education and Engagement; the Office of Institutional Effectiveness; the
Office of Accountability and Assessment; the Office of the Vice Provost, and the Center
for Graduate Studies. The Provost is responsible for the day-to-day operations of
the Division, ensuring that the College is a great place at which to learn and work.
The Provost supports high quality teaching, scholarship and service, champions the
faculty, and promotes and continuous improvement in all aspects of the Division and
The Provost serves a key role on the Joint Planning and Budgeting Committee (JPBC)
as well as other important college committees. Employing data-informed decision making,
the Provost works with colleagues to create fiscal accountability across the Division
and to advance the College’s mission to be an inclusive learning community that inspires
excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation. The Provost will lead data-informed
planning in Academic Affairs, ensuring a focus on academic excellence, experiential
learning, and student success.
The Provost works collaboratively with the President and Cabinet to achieve the College’s
shared goals as outlined in the strategic plan, Building a Better Brockport. As a member of the President’s Cabinet, the Provost develops policy and practice
on institutional issues, represents the College in SUNY decision-making, liaises with
external agencies and bodies, and serves as a College officer/representative on public
occasions. The Provost is also the campus administrative liaison to the State University
of New York (SUNY) for academic matters.
The Provost must have a strong commitment to shared governance, including working
closely with the College Senate and the local branches of the United University Professions
(UUP) and Civil Service Employees Association (CSEA) as well as the Brockport Student
- Major Responsibilities & Essential Functions
- Provides leadership for the division’s strategic and academic plans, policy development,
assessment planning, accreditation, and daily operations, offering guidance to departments,
deans, the Vice Provost and directors within the division for the development and
delivery of quality educational programs and services consistent with the College’s
mission, including a focus on academic excellence, experiential learning, and student
- Responsible for the development, implementation, and ongoing coordination of all instructional
activities to ensure division-wide and unit-level planning and resource allocation
are interlinked, informed by assessment, and advance the College’s strategic priorities
for Building a Better Brockport.
- Responsible for ensuring equity, diversity and inclusion principles are threaded throughout
the work of Academic Affairs, in relation to appointment, tenure and promotion processes;
curricular development; policy development, amongst other areas.
- Provides entrepreneurial leadership in developing and expanding educational programs
that impact educational growth and development of a diverse student population, which
increases the institution’s effectiveness and efficiency.
- Leads the process of faculty personnel decisions, which includes preparing appointment,
rank and tenure recommendations, as well as sabbatical leave recommendations, for
action by the President.
- Initiates needed changes in the instructional area based on assessment and best evidence
to keep SUNY Brockport on the cutting edge, meeting the learning needs of the students
and community. This will require the provost to think innovatively and strategically
regarding 21st century higher education trends.
- Cultivates a collegial and team-oriented working environment, ensuring collaborative
relationships, open lines of communication, and an environment of the highest integrity.
- Supports the college's international education and global outreach initiatives in
order to recruit and retain an international workforce at faculty and administrative
staff levels, increase the international student body, and expand the college’s international
education programs and global strategic partnerships.
- Leads or serves on teams, committees and task forces as needed to fulfill the goals
of the College.
- Represents the President with internal and external constituencies as appropriate,
and leads projects for the college.
- Supports and assists the president by providing regular updates and reports as necessary.
Resource Management & Budgeting
- Directs the development and management of the Academic Affairs budget and reviews
and analyzes costs and operations to determine the division’s progress towards stated
goals. Prepares short and long range fiscal strategies to support these plans.
- Coordinates the division’s budget in collaboration with Deans, Vice Provost, Directors
- Reviews financial situation of all units on a regular basis and determines plans to
correct any deficiencies.
Coordination & Supervision
- Provides regular and timely feedback with direct reports through regularly scheduled
- Completes annual performance evaluations and performance plans for each direct report
and provides guidance and direction for their personal and professional development.
- Facilitates regular divisional meetings.
Communication & Collaboration
- Strong commitment to and engagement in shared decision making with the President’s
cabinet, the College Senate, local union chapters of United University Professions
(UUP) and Civil Service Employees Associated (CSEA), as well as Brockport Student
- Utilizes regularly scheduled Deans’ meetings, Academic Affairs Leadership Team meetings,
and Chairs’ and Directors’ meetings as a communication platform.
- Fosters positive collaborative relationships with campus and community constituents
in addressing matters of common concern, including the enhancement of institutional
commitment to an inclusive and accessible community of learning.
Compliance and Risk Management
- Ensures that all programs and services in the division comply with relevant state
and federal laws.
- Provides administrative oversight for accreditation and compliance audits throughout
- Contributes to the development of an effective external presence, including articulating
a clear and compelling case for support for the College to raise the College's visibility
in the public eye and mass media, and serving on external boards as appropriate.
- Supports the College’s philanthropic efforts through the development of strategic
partnerships and donor cultivation.
- Maintains and enhances the College's working relationships within SUNY and with external
audiences, including working with bodies of influence to formulate and advance strategic
opportunities for Building a Better Brockport.
- Attends, as a cabinet representative, meetings, town halls, celebrations and dinners.
- Represents the College externally with the community, region, state and SUNY System,
including sitting on relevant committees as appropriate.
Functional and Supervisory Relationships
- The Provost reports to the President of SUNY Brockport and works collaboratively with
members of cabinet, as well as College Senate.
- Works closely with the Vice President for Administration and Finance to ensure that
all Academic Affairs divisional financial operations, including the budget process,
financial reporting of expenses, funding and cash flow projections, are met.
- Works closely with the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
to ensure that Brockport is a great place to learn, inside and outside of the classroom,
and that support for High Impact Practices and Co-Curricular High Impact Practices
remains a focus of the College.
- Works closely with the Vice President for Advancement and the Vice President for University
Relations to enhance external relationships and communication.
- Works closely with the CDO in relation to all aspects of equity, diversity and inclusion
Supervises 9 Deans/Directors as well as one executive assistant; shares the supervision
and resources of one cross-divisional budget officer.
- Terminal degree from an accredited higher education institution in the US or abroad.
- Experience at dean’s level or equivalent.
- A record of teaching, scholarship and service sufficient to be considered at the tenured
full professor rank.
- Demonstrated commitment and success in promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Experience leading through collaboration, with transparency, and within the context
of shared governance.
- Experience implementing quality curricular innovations, reforms and modifications
in face-to face, hybrid, and/or online learning environments.
- Experience developing, organizing, and administering budgets.
- Experience using data to inform strategic and operational decisions.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a variety of constituencies.
- Experience at a college/university combining a strong liberal arts core and programs
with a range of professional programs at the baccalaureate, master’s and doctorate
- Experience working as a Provost or VP for Academic Affairs.
- Experience with and an interest in assessment and accreditation processes.
- Strong interest and commitment to graduate and international education.
- Demonstrated success with strategic planning and facilities planning.
- Experience in fundraising and friend-raising.
- Experience leading a variety of operational areas through effective communication,
influence, and persuasion at all levels of an organization while balancing patience
with sense of urgency.
- Experience advocating for Academic Affairs while taking an institution-wide perspective
on priorities and resources, and cultivating a shared vision and collaborative culture
to achieve institutional goals.
- Innovative and forward thinking in relation to planning, strategy, and implementation.
Information for Applicants