What is a Peer Mentor?
Transferring to a new college can be overwhelming. The purpose of our Transfer Peer Mentor program is to pair incoming transfer students with a peer on campus who has gone through the transfer process, to help make the transition to Brockport easy and enjoyable. Mentors serve as resources to students for information about academic policies and programs, provide encouragement for academic success, and offer information about organizational programs, campus life and events. Peer Mentors play a vital role in helping new transfer students feel comfortable in our campus community.
Benefits to becoming a Peer Mentor:
• Develop practical leadership skills
• Build your resumé
• Expand your social and professional network
• Improve communication skills
• Serve as an advocate for others
• Obtain a sense of fulfillment
Qualifications for Consideration:
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the following preferred qualifications:
- Current transfer student who has been through the transfer process
- Full time, matriculated student in current semester, with a flexible co-curricular schedule
- In good disciplinary and academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0)
- Involved in co-curricular activities
- Hard-working, flexible and have a sense of humor
- Exhibit excellent communication skills (especially public speaking) and leadership capabilities
- Possess outstanding organizational skills
- Ability and desire to work with students, faculty and staff
- Have a strong commitment to SUNY Brockport and the philosophy behind the Peer Mentoring Program.
- Have a positive, motivated attitude.
Interested in becoming a Peer Mentor?
Applications are available here. Please share questions with the Academic Success Center, email@example.com