The healthcare administration program prepares students to enter the healthcare field as entry-level healthcare management practitioners. Upon graduation, students are prepared to seek employment in the healthcare field in a variety of settings including hospitals, physician practices, nursing homes, public health institutions, insurance companies, and consulting firms. Students pursue study in a broad range of subjects emphasizing both business and health systems-related topics.
Admission to the Major
Any undergraduate student can declare a healthcare studies major.
The healthcare studies faculty has a professional responsibility to deny admission or continuation in any of its undergraduate or graduate programs to any student whose level of performance and/or personal characteristics or dispositions do not adequately meet academic, professional, or ethical standards.
Undergraduate students in the Healthcare Administration program pursue a Bachelor of Science degree, and must complete its requirements.
Students must achieve a grade of "C" or higher in each required healthcare administration and required business and accounting courses. (A grade of "C-" does not meet this requirement.)
Healthcare Studies Courses
- HCS 410 Introduction to Healthcare Administration (A)
- HCS 411 Management Communications in Healthcare Administration (A,Y)
- HCS 412 Healthcare Administration Planning (A)
- HCS 413 Risk Management (A)
- PBH 488 Applied Biostatistics and Epidemiology (A,M)
- HCS 496* Internship in Healthcare Administration (A)
Business and Accounting Courses
- ACC 280 or ACC 281 or ACC 282 Introduction to Accounting (B)(Pre-rec MTH 111)
- BUS 335 Principles of Marketing (A)
- BUS 365 Principles of Management (A)
- BUS 465** Human Resource Management (A)
- HCS 230 Medical Terminology for Health Professionals (A)
- HCS 340 Healthcare leadership (A)
- HCS 420 Healthcare Research (A)
Other suggested Electives(not required)
- CIS 106 End-User Computing (A)
- MTH 243 Elementary Statistics (A,M)
- WMS 271 Gender, Race and Class (A,D,S,W)
- CMC 273 Interpersonal Communication (A,S)
- ECN 100 or 201 or 202 Contemporary Economic Issues (A,S)
- CMC 316 Interpersonal Communication in Business and the Professions (A)
- ECN 333 Health Economics (A)
- PSH 397*** Health Psychology (A)
*Students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5, and successfully complete all Healthcare and Business required courses with a grade of “C” or higher, in order to take HCS 496.
**Prerequisite for BUS 465 is BUS 365.
***Prerequisite for PHS 397 is PSH 110 or PSH 112.
Student Learning OutcomesUpon successful completion of the Healthcare Administration Track, students will be able to:
- Apply knowledge of the healthcare system.
- Communicate clearly with individuals and groups.
- Apply effective leadership skills.
- Apply business principles, including systems thinking, to the healthcare environment.
- Behave in accordance with professional standards.