The AACSB-accredited Finance Major prepares students to assume professional positions in one of the many finance functions in business and non-profit organizations, such as financial planning, cash management, and investment analysis. The program also prepares students for graduate business study.
General Education (41 Credits)
Major Departmental Requirement
Admission to the Program
Students must obtain at least a "C-" in each of the following courses, and an overall GPA of at least 2.5, to declare the major. Transfer grades are included in the calculation of the overall GPA.
Foundation Course Requirements (21-22 credits)
- CIS 217 Fundamentals of Business Computing
- ECN 201 Principles of Economics (Micro)
- ECN 202 Principles of Economics (Macro)
- MTH 244 Business Statistics
- ACC 281 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 282 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ONE of the following courses:
- MTH 201 Calculus
- MTH 221 Business Calculus
Students must earn a grade of at least "C-" in each course used to satisfy a finance major requirement.
Students must earn an overall cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 in the Brockport courses used to satisfy the corequisite, business core, and specialization course requirements described below.
Corequisite Courses (10 credits)
- ENG 302 Business Writing
- ECN 302 Intermediate Macroeconomics
- ECN 304 Intermediate Statistics
- BUS 389 Business Careers Seminar
Business Core Courses (21 credits)
- BUS 325 Principles of Finance
- BUS 335 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 345 International Business Environment
- BUS 361 Production and Operations Management
- BUS 366 Organizational Behavior
- BUS 375 Business Law I
- BUS 378 Business, Government, and Society
- BUS 475 Strategic Management
Required Specialty Courses (6 credits)
- BUS 421 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
- BUS 422 Corporate Financial Policy
Specialty Electives (6 credits)
At least one of these electives must be from Group A.
- Group A
- BUS 420 Short-Term Financial Management
- BUS 428 Seminar in Finance
- BUS 445 International Financial Management
- Group B
- ACC 385 Intermediate Accounting I
- ACC 387 Financial Statement Analysis
- ACC 388 Cost Accounting
- ECN 321 Money and Banking
- ECN 425 Financial Institutions
Prerequisites (0-6 Credits)
- MTH 111 College Algebra
- MTH 121 Pre-Calculus
Electives (9-15 Credits)
Total Credits (120 Credits)
Student Learning OutcomesUpon completion of the program, students will be able to:
Goal 1: Knowledge of Business: Students master knowledge of key business concepts and theories.
Objective 1.1 Students are able to apply key business concepts and theories associated with core business areas.
Goal 2: Analytical and Critical Writing: Students are capable of critically analyzing business conditions, and communicate effectively in a written format.
Objective 2.1 Students demonstrate skills to critically analyze business issues.
Objective 2.2 Students demonstrate effective written communication skills.
Goal 3: Professional Preparedness: Students are prepared for successfully entering the job market.
Objective 3.1 Students demonstrate market readiness in a professional setting.