The AACSB-accredited Marketing Major prepares students to assume professional positions in one of the many marketing functions in business and non-profit organizations, such as sales management, market research and advertising. The program also prepares students for graduate business study.
Admission to the Program
A student's cumulative GPA in the foundation courses is used to determine whether the student will be admitted to the major. Students must earn a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the foundation courses below, with no grade lower than "C-." Transfer grades are included in this GPA.
Foundation Course Requirements (21-22 credits)
- CIS 217 Fundamentals of Business Computing
- ACC 281 Introduction to Financial Accounting
- ACC 282 Introduction to Managerial Accounting
- ECN 201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECN 202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- MTH 244 Business Statistics
- ONE of the following:
- MTH 201 Calculus
- MTH 221 Business Calculus
Note: An introductory statistics course from another discipline (e.g ., psychology) may be substituted for MTH244. However, credit towards graduation will be allowed for only one introductory statistics course.
Students who successfully complete these requirements can declare the major in marketing.
General Education Requirements (41 credits)
Students pursue the Marketing Major as part of a Bachelor of Science degree, and must satisfy its requirements. Students are also bound by the policies and procedures of the School of Business and Management.
Note: Only business students who have declared their major or minor are permitted to register for courses numbered 400-499 in the School of Business and Management.
Prerequisites (0-6 credits)
- MTH 111 College Algebra
- MTH 122 Pre-Calculus
Corequisite Courses (4 credits)
- ENG 302 Business Writing
- BUS 389 Business Careers Seminar (1 credit)
Business Core Courses (27 credits)
- ECN 304 Intermediate Statistics
- BUS 325 Principles of Finance
- BUS 335 Principles of Marketing
- BUS 345 International Business Environment
- BUS 361 Production and Operations Management
- BUS 366 Organizational Behavior
- BUS 375 Business Law I
- BUS 378 Business, Government, and Society
- BUS 475 Strategic Management
Marketing Courses (15 credits)
- BUS 441 Marketing Management
- Electives: FOUR of the following by advisement:
- BUS 440 Business to Business Marketing
- BUS 432 Personal Selling and Sales Management
- BUS 433 International Marketing
- BUS 435 Consumer Behavior
- BUS 436 Marketing Research
- BUS 437 Advertising and Promotion
- BUS 438 Supply Chain Management
- BUS 439 Social Media & Digital Marketing
- BUS 498 Internship
Electives (6-14 credits)
Total Credits (120 credits)
Note: To satisfy degree requirements for the B.S. in Marketing, students must:
- Earn a grade of at least C- in all courses required for the major.
- Earn an overall GPA of 2.0 in all courses required for the major.
Student Learning OutcomesUpon completion of the program, students will be able to:
Goal 1: Knowledge of Business: Students master knowledge of key business concepts and theories.
Objective 1.1 Students are able to apply key business concepts and theories associated with core business areas.
Goal 2: Analytical and Critical Writing: Students are capable of critically analyzing business conditions, and communicate effectively in a written format.
Objective 2.1 Students demonstrate skills to critically analyze business issues.
Objective 2.2 Students demonstrate effective written communication skills.
Goal 3: Professional Preparedness: Students are prepared for successfully entering the job market.
Objective 3.1 Students demonstrate market readiness in a professional setting.