Administered by the Department of Journalism, Broadcasting and Public Relations, the courses in the Public Relations minor are designed to help students who are not majoring in Journalism and Broadcasting learn about the growing field of public relations, which focuses on strategic communication for organizations, companies and individuals. JRB courses are listed under Journalism & Broadcasting.
Admission to the Program
Any undergraduate student who is not a Journalism and Broadcasting Major can declare this minor.
Students with a minor in Public Relations must complete a total of 18 credit hours (6 courses) including 12 credit hours of Required Courses and 6 credit hours of Electives.
- JRB 224 Newswriting (every semester)
- JRB 225 Public Relations Principles and Practices (every semester)
- JRB 328 Public Relations Writing (every fall; prereq. JRB 225)
- JRB 468 Media Law & Ethics (every fall; prereq. JRB 224 or JRB 243)
Electives (choose any two classes)
- JRB 227 Mobile Journalism (every semester; prereq. JRB 224 or instructor permission)
- JRB 324 Web Writing (every semester; preq. JRB 224)
- JRB 327 Web Publication & Design (every semester)
- JRB 334 Public Relations Methods and Cases (every fall; preq. JRB 225 and JRB 328)
- JRB 325 Feature Writing (every spring; JRB 224 or instructor permission)
- JRB 432 Public Relations Campaigns (every spring; prereq. JRB 225 and JRB 328)