This major allows a typical student to obtain a Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology from The College at Brockport upon the satisfactory completion of all program requirements. A typical student fulfills the General Education and major requirements during the first three years. The fourth year, Clinical Year, is completed at an approved clinical site (Hospital/Medical Lab) and includes both theoretical study and practical work. The BS in Medical Technology is awarded upon the satisfactory completion of these program requirements. Completing the Clinical Year (sometime referred to as internship) makes the student eligible to take the National Registry Examination, which the student must pass to be certified as a Registered Medical Technologist.
Admission to the Major
To enter the program, the student must formally declare Medical Technology as a major. A typical first-year or transfer student may do this at the time of application for admission to the College. If the student is accepted by the College, Medical Technology is automatically designated as a major of the student. Alternatively, a student may visit the department office, Room 103, Lennon Hall and declare Medical Technology as a major by completing the Major Declaration form. Hospitals/Medical labs require a separate application process for acceptance into the clinical year. Such applications must be submitted by the middle of the fall semester of the junior year. Acceptance to the clinical year will be based on i) timely completion of the application, ii) the academic record of the student, iii) a minimum overall GPA of 2.75, iii) an interview with the departmental Medical Technology committee, iv) an interview by the Hospital/Medical lab, and v) completion of all prerequisites prior to entering the clinical year.
The selection process is competitive and the decision is made by the Hospital/Medical lab hosting the clinical year in close consultation with the faculty in the Department of Biology. Because a student in the Medical Technology major has to complete the Clinical Year, the acceptance is contingent on successful completion of a requisite set of courses, and the application to the Hospital/Clinical Lab must be submitted by the middle of the fall semester of the junior year, only those students who declare their major and complete the requisite coursework by this deadline will be able to complete all program requirements in four years. Students not accepted to the clinical year have the option of completing a major in Biology.
Students in the medical technology major pursue a Bachelor of Science degree, and must complete its requirements.
A minimum of 90 credits (including General Education requirements) must be completed at Brockport during the first three years of the program. PRO 481 Medical Technology I (15 credits) and PRO 482 Medical Technology II (15 credits) are taken in the clinical year at an approved school of medical technology. These courses cover topics such as phlebotomy, microbiology, parasitology, transfusion medicine, hematology and coagulation, urinalysis, and anatomic pathology.
General Education Requirements (36 credits)
Biology Requirements (64-65 credits)
- BIO 201 Biology I
- BIO 202 Biology II
- BIO 310 Biological Chemistry
- BIO 311 Biological Chemistry Lab
- BIO 315 Cell Biology
- BIO 302 Genetics
- BIO 321 Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIO 322 Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIO 414 Immunology
- BIO 430 Immunology Laboratory
- PRO 481 Medical Technology Internship I
- PRO 482 Medical Technology Internship II
- ONE of the following courses:
- BIO 323 Microbiology
- BIO 423 General Microbiology
Cognate or Additional Requirements 27 credits
Chemistry Requirements (16 credits)
- CHM 205 General Chemistry I
- CHM 206 General Chemistry II
- CHM 305 Organic Chemistry I
- CHM 313 Quantitative Chemical Analysis
Physics Requirements (8 credits)
ONE of the following two-course sequences is required:
- Option 1
- PHS 205 Introduction to Physics I (with lab)
- PHS 210 Introduction to Physics II (with lab)
- Option 2
- PHS 235 Physics I (with lab)
- PHS 240 Physics II (with lab)
Mathematics Requirement (3 credits)
- MTH 243 Elementary Statistics
Prerequisites (0-6 credits)
- MTH 111 College Algebra
- MTH 122 Pre-Calculus or placement by the math placement coordinator
Total Credits (127-135 credits)
Contact Information for Questions and Advisement:
Student Learning OutcomesUpon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Define and accurately use biological terminology and nomenclature.
- Evaluate and analyze biological problems using knowledge of cell structure and function.
- Integrate interdisciplinary concepts to assess tissues, organs and systems.
- Evaluate and analyze biological problems using knowledge of genetics and evolution.
- Compare and contrast origins and diversity of life to explain life processes.
- Competently employ common laboratory equipment.
- Analyze and interpret scientific data, using relevant computer skills.
- Use quantitative reasoning to analyze complex biological problems.
- Apply biological knowledge to societal issues.
- Apply clinical knowledge of Medical Technology as demonstrated by satisfactory score on the New York State Licensure Examination.