Undergraduate Audition Information
In compliance with public health recommendation related to COVID-19, auditions during the 2020/2021 academic year will be via video. All students who wish to major or minor in Dance are required to audition and be accepted to the program.
To audition, you must complete the audition application form and essay available at the link below. Within that form you must also submit a link to a video that includes:
- A short verbal introduction of yourself stating the following
- Why you want to study dance at SUNY Brockport
- A short sample of a warm up of your choice (ballet, modern, African, hip-hop, etc)
- A short (no more than four minutes) movement combination in the style of your choice (Ballet, modern, African, hip-hop, etc).
To schedule a campus tour, please contact Admissions. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a department tour, please contact the department secretary Bonnie Bradley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Graduate Audition Information
The audition process runs over the course of two days and includes:
- Audition in modern dance-based technique class
- Solo choreography showing - approximately three minute excerpt
- Critical writing assessment session
- Group discussion with members of the graduate committee
- Interview with chair, graduate director, or program advisor
- Observe/participate in ongoing classes
- Lunch with current graduate students
- View student, faculty and/or guest artist choreography
- Facilities and campus tour
- Teaching assistantship audition for applicants selected in advance. There are a limited number of highly competitive graduate assistantships available. Be prepared to share your teaching philosophy with the faculty.
It is preferred that all auditions be done in person on the above dates. If you are unable to attend an audition in person, please call the Department of Dance to discuss possible alternatives. With prior permission, a video audition or a clip uploaded to a video sharing site such as Vimeo or YouTube may be accepted and must include:
- An oral self-introduction including your name, what dance program you are interested in, the reasons for your interest in SUNY Brockport and a synopsis of your career goals
a three-five minute modern dance technique self-choreographed solo
Any additional performance or studio work (optional)
When is the Audition?
February 22 and 23, 2021.
For further information on our graduate program, contact Mariah Maloney at email@example.com
For more information about Graduate Auditions.