An internship allows a student to apply classroom knowledge in a professional setting. It is a means of networking for future job contacts, gathering valuable hands-on experience to augment a resume as well as an opportunity to work in a certain field while still a student before selecting a professional route
Who May Apply
Internship applicants must be at least of junior status, having completed 54 total credits with a minimum of 12 credits being completed in the Journalism and Broadcasting major at The College at Brockport. Minimum overall GPA is 2.5, major GPA is 3.0. These GPA numbers are firm.
JRB 475 may be taken for 1-12 credits. While juniors are eligible, the internship experience is strongly encouraged for the senior year.
Submit a letter of application detailing what you would like to do, when (which semester) and where. In addition to the letter, applicants should attach a current DARS report and a resume. Staple all materials together and submit to the department internship coordinator in Holmes Hall.
For fall and summer internships, students should submit their materials the previous spring semester. For spring internships, materials should be submitted the previous fall semester.
The faculty advisor will work with the student to try to arrange an internship in the field and location desired.
Previous internship sites include:
- Bausch & Lomb
- Catholic Courier Newspaper
- City of Rochester, Bureau of Communications
- Eric Mower & Associates (Advertising/PR)
- WROC, WHEC, WHAM (CBS, NBC and ABC affiliates)
- Entercom and Clear Channel radio affiliates
- Rochester sports teams: Rhinos, Rattlers, Knighthawks, Red Wings and Amerks
- Democrat and Chronicle (Gannett Newspaper)
- City Newspaper (independent weekly)
- Harris RF Corporation/ Harris Interactive
- Landmark Society of Western New York
- Paychex Corporation
- Regional office of New York State Governor
- Rochester Police Department
- Strong National Museum of Play
- The College at Brockport Marketing Communications
- The Write Creative
- NBC News
- Dateline NBC
- Southwest Airlines Communications Department
- WSTM TV
- WWHT Radio
- Clear Channel Radio
- Greater Buffalo Savings Bank
- WKBW Television
- American Cancer Society
- Six Flags (corporate headquarters)
- Transit/Transit (weekly television program produced for NYC transit system and aired on local cable)
- New York Rangers
- ESPN Production Center