- Ph.D., The Ohio State University
- M.A., The Ohio State University
- B.A., University of Puerto Rico at Mayaguez
Area(s) of Specialty
- Teacher Education
- Adapted Physical Education
- Affective Domain in Physical Education and Sports
- Social Inclusion (Transition)
- Diversity in Physical Education
Born and raised in Puerto Rico, Amaury Samalot-Rivera came to The College at Brockport
in 2013. He taught for 10 years in the Elementary and Special Physical Education Department
of University of Puerto Rico at Bayamon. He is the former pitching coach of the Puerto
Rico Female National Softball Team. He enjoys playing softball and coaching his two
- Madrid-Lopez, P., Prieto-Ayuso, A., Samalot-Rivera, A. & Madrona, P. (2016). An extracurricular proposal for the promotion of appropriate
attitudes in physical education and sports. Retos, 30,36-43.
- Sato, T., Samalot-Rivera, A., Kozub, F. M. (in press). New Graduate Entry: Students’ Transition to Adapted Physical
Education Graduate Program. The Physical Educator.
- Vidoni, C., Samalot-Rivera, A., Sato, T. (2015). The Importance of Movement Skills in the Early Years. Early Years Bulletin: http://www.acei.org/early-years-bulletin-1/
- Samalot-Rivera, A., & Vidoni, C. (2015). Steps to teach appropriate sports and games behaviors through
physical education. Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 86:5, 8-13.
- Samalot- Rivera, A., Aleman, A. & Volmar, V.(2015). Increasing transition opportunities for youth with
disabilities: Existing successful programs and steps to follow in program selection.
Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 86:4, 57-61.
- Samalot-Rivera, A., Lieberman, L. J., Haibach, P. S. (2015). Teaching Two Critical Locomotor Skills
to Children who are Blind. Journal of Visual Impairment & Blindness (JVIB). www.afb.org/info/publications/jvib/12
- Madrona, P., Samalot-Rivera, A., Gutierrez-Marin, E.C., Rodenas-Jiménez, J. & Rodenas-Jiménez, M.LL. (2014). Improving
social skills through physical education in elementary 4th year. American Journal of Sport Science and Medicine, 2(6a), 5-8.
- Munster, M., Lieberman, L., Samalot-Rivera, A. & Houston-Wilson, C. (2014). Individualized education plan applied to physical education:
Validation of inventory in Portuguese version. Revista da Sobama, Marília, 15:1, 43-54. (published in English and Portuguese).
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2014). Role playing in physical education to teach in the affective domain. Teaching
Tips Section. Journal of Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 85:2, 41-43.
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2013). Models to teach values and appropriate social skills in physical education
and sports: A literature review. Lecturas EFDeportes, 184. (Published in Spanish) http://www.efdeportes.com/efd184/la-ensenanza-de-valores-y-destrezas-sociales.htm
- Samalot- Rivera, A. (2013). Recreation can help teens with needs transition to community life. Expert Beacon. http://expertbeacon.com/recreation-can-help-teens-needs-transition-community-life/#.U4TjtlOM79U
- Samalot-Rivera, A. & Porretta, D.L. (2012). The influence of social skills instruction on sport and
game related behaviors of students with emotional or behavioral disorders. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy, 17, 1-16.
- Lionel, J. & Samalot-Rivera, A. (2012). Essential pillars to the development of high performance athletes. Lecturas EFDeportes, 173. (written in Spanish). http://www.efdeportes.com/efd173/la-preparacion-de-atletas-de-alto-rendimiento.htm
- Medina, W. & Samalot-Rivera, A. (2012). Impact of the transition process from the school to the community for students
of the adapted physical education program. Lecturas EFDeportes, 166. (written in Spanish). http://www.efdeportes.com/efd166/programa-de-educacion-fisica-adaptada.html
- Hodge, S., Sato, T., Samalot-Rivera, A., Hersman, B., LaMaster, K., Casebolt, K., and Ammah, J. (2009). Teachers’ beliefs
on inclusion and teaching students with disabilities: A representation of diverse
voices. Journal of Multicultural Learning and Teaching, 4 (2).
- Hodge, S., Ammah, J., Casebolt, K., LaMaster, K., Hersman, B., Samalot-Rivera, A., Sato, T. (2009). A diversity of voices: Physical education teachers’ beliefs about
inclusion and teaching students disabilities. The International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, 56 (4).
- Samalot-Rivera, A. & Porretta, D.L. (2009). Perceptions and practices of adapted physical educators
on the teaching of social skills. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly, 26, 172
- Samalot-Rivera, A. & Hodge, S. (2008). Secondary physical education teachers' beliefs on teaching students
with disabilities at schools in Puerto Rico. Lecturas EFDeportes, 123. teaching-students-with-disabilites.htm
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2007). The Effects of a Social Skill Instruction on the Sport and Game Related
Behaviors of Children and Adolescents with Emotional or Behavioral Disabilities. The
Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. (Doctoral Dissertation). http://rave.ohiolink.edu/etdc/view?acc_num=osu1186774990
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2007). Transition from school to community for youth with disabilities and physical
education. Gente Especial; May-June. Written in Spanish.
- Samalot-Rivera, A. (2012). Teaching values and social skills through physical education and sport: “A guide for
teachers and coaches”. Bayamón, Puerto Rico: Axios. (written in Spanish)
- Lieberman, L. & Samalot-Rivera, A. (2016). Community Programs, Sports, Fitness and Motor Activities for Children with Disabilities:
A Practical Approach to Increased Physical Activity Beyond the School Day. Lanham, Maryland: Rowman & Littlefield.