Deadline for Signing Up
The deadline for signing up for the 2020 Spring semester is January 20 and the deadline
for the Fall semester is August 20. Sign up for the program using our online form
FAST is staffed by exercise mentors.
- Students currently in the Exercise Science Major taking PEP 455 Practicum for Exercise Programming
- FAST is a key component of the practicum for the course
- The primary job of an exercise mentor is to screen, assess, prescribe, and monitor the exercise of the participants in the program
Once the membership sign-up period has ended you will be contacted about participating in the program. Once you have been notified about participating in the program you will have 48 hours to respond and hold your spot in the program for the remainder of the semester.
All interested participants will be entered into a raffle for participation in this program. The number of participants will depend on student enrollment in the practicum course.
The cost of the program is directly tied to your SERC membership. Faculty/staff and alumni who are signing up for the FAST program will receive 50% off their SERC membership. A SERC member ship is free for emeriti and spouses of emeriti.
- Meet with your assigned exercise mentor to Complete a Physical Activity Readiness
Questionnaire (PAR-Q+) and Client Information Form to determine participant clearance
to exercise and undergo a resting blood pressure and heart rate assessment
- Our program follows the American College of Sports Medicine’s Participation Screening Algorithm
- Due to the risks associated with exercise participation, some participants will require physician’s approval before exercising in our facility
- We have a form to fax to your physician for approval if necessary or you can take the Physician Clearance Form to your physician
- Meet with your exercise mentor to discuss health and fitness related goals
- Complete a minimum of two Health Assessments from the following list before the end of the semester:
- Cardiovascular Assessment — Tailored to your specific needs (treadmill, bicycle, arm ergometer, etc) designed to estimate your cardiovascular fitness
- Body Composition Assessment — (choose one or all assessments) Waist to hip circumference measures, skinfold measures and bioelectrical impedance to assess body size and percent body fat
- Muscular Strength and Endurance Assessment — Estimating your strength by performing a couple different resistance training exercises
- Flexibility Screen and Postural Analysis — Identifies postural deviations and movement limitations that may impact fitness training
- Complete a minimum of 10 Personal Training sessions with your exercise mentor by end of semester, with 5 of them by mid-semester
Your Exercise Mentor will provide you with all of your results and an explanation of them approximately one week after the assessments have been completed. We can provide copies of your information to your health care providers if you would like. The faculty teaching the practicum course will review all assessment data and exercise prescriptions.
Time & Location
FAST takes place in the Special Events Recreation Center (SERC) and operates when the SERC is open. Your exercise mentor will meet you at the front desk before each visit.
- Personal training with exercise mentors should take place between the hours of 6 am – 8 pm
- You may exercise on your own at SERC without a mentor but you must meet the minimum number of training sessions, 10 per semester
- The program begins on the first Monday of each semester and ends on the last Friday before finals week
Liz Lenz, PhD, is the Director of the FAST program. For any questions related to the program, contact us at FAST@brockport.edu