The Professional Education (PEU) was established in 1999 with the responsibility for coordinating all programs offered for the initial and advanced preparation of teachers and other school professionals on campus.
The PEU is responsible for maintaining high quality education professional programs, evident by our national accreditation by The Council for the Accreditation Educator Preparation (CAEP).
The PEU consists of all professional education preparation programs within the College.
The College's Professional Education Unit will be recognized in the State of New York for the preparation of highly competent professionals in education who are committed to leading, teaching, and counseling in New York State and nationally. The unit will serve graduate and undergraduate candidates from a range of diverse backgrounds and disciplines. Future teachers, teachers and administrators, and counselors within the unit will be prepared to integrate professional content and pedagogical knowledge to create meaningful learning experiences for all youths.
The PEU is dedicated to excellence in teaching, scholarship, creative endeavors, and service to the community. The Unit is committed to providing education programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and advanced graduate levels that prepare school professionals who are highly qualified to teach, counsel, lead, and administer. Predicated on the need to create environments in which all learners grow and develop as contributing members of society, the Mission of the Unit encompasses the Mission of the College in providing programs grounded in the liberal arts, emphasizing student learning and success as its highest priority.
The PEU believes that collaboration between the College and P-12 practitioners is fundamental and inherent to all programs offered by the PEU, including quality-based field experiences in diverse settings. Faculty, staff, and field-based personnel work together to link theory and practice to advance the highest standards of learning for all youths.
- Coordinate all professional education efforts on the College campus
- Facilitate communication among all departments involved with teacher certification and related professional education programs (including communication of assessment information about applicant qualifications, candidate and graduate performance, and Unit operations)
- Identify and address all professional education accreditation-related issues on campus
- Seek to establish consistencies among all teacher education and related professional education programs (e.g., workload, standards, field experiences, policies and procedures, etc.)
- Communicate the needs of teacher education and related professional education programs to the college administration
- Provide a single voice for communicating with NYSED and SUNY Administration about professional education issues affecting Brockport