Barbara LeSavoy, PhD
- Associate Professor
- (585) 395-5799
118 Liberal Arts Building
- Sex and Culture; Honors Sex and Culture
- Gender, Race and Class
- Feminist Theory; Graduate Level Feminist Theory
- Feminist Research Methods
- Senior Seminar in Women and Gender Studies
- Practicum in Women and Gender Studies
New York- St. Petersburg Institute of Linguistics, Cognition and Culture, St. Petersburg
State University, Russia
- Threshold Concepts in Women and Gender Studies,Summer '16
- The Sex Wars: Bodies, Laboring, and Reproduction,Summer '15
- Riot Grrrl to Little Women: Politics of Identity and Place,Summer '14
Teaching / Research Interests
- Gender-based Violence and Trauma Movements
- Global and Intersectional Perspectives on Women and Gender
- Women's Stories as Feminist Standpoint
- Theorizing Gender and Popular Culture
- International Women's Day: Contemporary and Historical Perspectives
- Sex and Education (1873): Historical and Contemporary Perspectives
- University of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Educational Leadership and PolicyPhD, Social Foundations of Higher Education, May 2004
Research/Reading Focus, Women in Education
- Boston University, Boston, MA School of EducationEdM, Adult and Continuing Education, May 1986
- HERS Bryn Mawr Institute, Bryn Mawr, PA Bryn Mawr University Women in Higher Education Administration, July 2013
- Anglo School, London, England Royal Society of Arts, English as a Second Language, May 1982
- Rhode Island Collage, Providence, RI BS, Elementary Eduation/Early Childhood, May 1981
Teaching Concentration: English Literature/Language Arts
- Presidential Award for Teaching Excellence, Spring '17
- Fanne Barrie Williams Women of Courage Faculty Award, Spring '16
- Ronald E. Fontaine Faculty Student Scholarly Engagement Awards, SUNY Brockport, Spring '15
- Diversity Engagement Award, SUNY Brockport, Fall '13
- Outstanding Service to Students Award, SUNY Brockport, Spring '13
- Academic;Advisement Award, SUNY Brockport, Spring '13
- Honorable Mention, Mixed and Imagined,University of Rochester Susan B. Anthony Institute Faculty Juried, "If I had a Camera
...Re-Imagining Film and Media Through a Feminist Lens," March '13
- Emerging Leader Award, American Association of University Women, April '12
- Mentor of the Year, McNair/CStep, SUNY Brockport, Spring '08
- Selected Publications
- The Sexual Politics of Videogame Graphics, with Robert Mejia, In K. Gray, G. Voorhees,
and E. Vossen (Eds.), Gender & Games Trilogy: Women's Studies Volume, Palgrave, December, 2018.
- Bloom's "Normal" and Tarttelin's "Golden Boy:" Reading Gender Fluidity Written Across Time
and Text," Feminist Teacher, 2016, 26 (2/3), 142-155.
- Disrupting the Lean: Performing a 2016 Declaration of Sentiments, with T. Schroeder,
The Seneca Falls Dialogues Journal, 2(1), October, 2017.
- One Billion Rising: Theorizing Bodies, Resistance, and Engagement in a Campus Stop
Violence Against Women Movement, Reflections: Public Rhetoric, Civic Writing, and Service Learning. June, 2017, 17(1), 133-155.
- From Podium Feminism to Participatory Feminism: Strategic Mythmaking at the Seneca
Falls Dialogues, with J. Swiencicki, M. Brandt, D. Uman, In K. Fredlund, K. Hauman,
and J. Ouellette (Eds.) Feminist Connections: Rhetorical Strategies from the Suffragists to the Cyberfeminists. Advanced Contract, University of Alabama Press, 2019.
- Negotiating Sex and Gender Mediums Across Continents: Brockport, New York to Novgorod,
Russia, In A. Moore and S. Simon (Eds.), Globally-Networked Learning: Theories and Practices, Routledge, 2015, 124-135.
- Faculty Learning Community (FLC) on Student Leadership: Applying Student Voices on
Learning Development, with J. Zhang, L. Lieberman, L. Barrett, MountainRise: The International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2014, 4(2).
- The Capitalist Hijacking of International Women's Day: Russian and American Considerations,
with G. Jordan; Journal of International Women's Studies, 2013, 14(3), 244-258.
- The New Old Feminism: Regional Coalition and the Future of Women and Gender Studies,
March '12, Women in Higher Education.
- Review of Eisenstein, "Feminism Seduced: How Global Elites Use Women's Labor and Ideas
to Exploit the World," June '12, Gender and Society, Sage Publications.
- Now I have Something that is Mine: Women's Higher Education Gains as Feminist Standpoint,
with J. Bergeron, S. Evans, Wagadu: A Journal of Transnational Women's and Gender Studies, 2011, 9, 141-163,
- How to be the Best at Everything: The Gendering and Embodiment of Girl/Boy Advice, Journal of Interdisciplinary Feminist Thought, 2011, 5 (1) 1-21.
- On the Outside End: Systems of Oppression and Academic Success, Black Women, Gender, and Families, 2010, 4(2) 85-108.
- American Association of University Women, In Andrea O'Reilly (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Women, 2011, Sage Publications.
- Women and Gender Studies, In Andrea O'Reilly (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Women, 2011, Sage Publications.
- Rwanda, In Andrea O'Reilly (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Motherhood, 2010, Sage Publications.
- Cherrie Moraga, In Andrea O'Reilly (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Motherhood, 2010, Sage Publications.