Dear Brockport Students and Families:
The College at Brockport has been working with SUNY to determine a credit/refunding schedule specific to certain Spring 2020 student charges most impacted by COVID-19; those charges include room, meal plan and some fees (Athletic, Transportation, SERC and BSG). Eligible charges and related credit percentages were determined after careful consideration surrounding the student’s ability to utilize the services provided by each fee. We recognize you will have many questions related to this topic, and this letter will attempt to answer your questions. Please review it carefully.
Credit percentages will be assessed to the SPRING 2020 student account as follows:
*Meal Plan: Up to 50% (depending on actual Dining Dollar usage)
Athletic Fee: 50%
Student Event Recreation Center (SERC): 50%
Brockport Student Government (BSG): 40%
*Certain scholarships and waivers, particularly those specific to room/meal charges, may impact the dollar amount credited to your account.
Your Spring 2020 student account will automatically be credited using the schedule listed above. You do not need to take any action for this to occur. Any credit resulting from the COVID-19-related charge adjustments will first be applied to any outstanding Spring 2020 or prior term account balance. If there is credit remaining after all outstanding balances are paid, a refund will be generated. COVID-19-related credits applied to your Spring 2020 account will not impact your 2019/2020 financial aid package.
If you prefer to receive credit for both room rental and the fees listed above in the Fall 2020 term (rather than in Spring 2020), you must complete the “COVID-19 Opt-In” process located on Web Banner (log into Web Banner, select the “Student Services” tab, and then select “COVID-19 Credit - Opt-In for Fall”). The deadline to opt-in to a Fall 2020 account credit is Friday, May 1, 2020. If you choose to receive the credit in the Fall 2020 term, be advised that the credit will appear as a financial aid resource in your financial aid package for the Fall 2020 term. Contact email@example.com to learn more. Please note all meal plans will be credited to the Spring 2020 account; there is no option for a Fall meal plan credit.
If you do not complete the opt-in process by May 1, your Spring 2020 account will automatically be credited with the adjustments listed above. Again, the opt-in process is ONLY for those students who do not want to receive their credit in the Spring 2020 term. Students who want the credit applied to, and potentially refunded from, their Spring 2020 student account do not need to take any action.
Here are some points that may help you navigate this process:
- Any credit resulting from the COVID-19-related charge adjustments will first be applied to any outstanding Spring 2020 or prior term account balance(s). If there is credit remaining after all outstanding balances are paid, a refund will be generated.
- We understand that the current unprecedented world environment is causing a financial strain for many of our families and that you want to receive refunds as soon as possible. Due to the uniqueness and complexity of the refunding process, not all students will receive their refund at the same time. Our goal is to complete Spring 2020 COVID-19-related room, board and eligible fee refunds by late June.
- Direct Deposit refunds are generally deposited in a student’s bank account several
days earlier than a paper check will arrive via US mail. As such, students are encouraged
to enroll in the College’s direct deposit option by going to www.brockport.edu/bursar, and selecting “REFUNDS: Enroll in Direct Deposit.”
- If a student does not have direct deposit, a paper refund check will be sent to the active permanent address listed in Banner.
- If the student does not have an active permanent address on file, a refund check cannot be mailed.
- Students should log into Web Banner, go to the “Personal Information” tab, and follow the instructions to update their address.
- Students who want to receive their credit via the Spring 2020 student account do not
need to take any action
- The deadline to “opt in” to receive Fall 2020 waiver/credit (instead of a credit/potential refund on the Spring 2020 student account) is MAY 1, 2020.
- Any student who does not opt-in to the Fall 2020 option by May 1, 2020 will automatically receive relevant credit(s) in the Spring 2020 term.
- All meal plan credits will be applied to the Spring 2020 term only. There is no option for the meal plan credit to be applied to the Fall 2020 student account.
- Certain scholarships and waivers, particularly those specific to room rental charges, may impact the dollar amount credited to your account. As a result, a student’s 50% room credit may be less than 50% of the standard/full room rental charge. For questions related to room scholarships, please contact The Office of Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- If you were granted permission to remain in on-campus housing for the remainder of
the Spring 2020 term, you are not eligible for any room rental or meal plan credits/refunds.
If you remained in on-campus housing, and have questions related to housing, please
contact The Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities at email@example.com. If you have any questions related to your meal plan, please contact BASC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Resident Assistants (RAs) and Townhome Assistants (TAs) are not eligible for a COVID-19-related room credit. RA/TA room charges were reflected in the RA/TA compensation package. RAs and TAs will see adjusted meal plan charges.
- Students should complete the TIV Authorization/Prior Year Authorization request to ensure their financial aid funds can be used to pay outstanding charges. Log into Web Banner and follow the instructions on the Financial Aid tab.
- Students can choose to use their Spring 2020 (COVID-19-related) refund to reduce the amount of loans borrowed in the 2019/2020 financial aid year. Go to www.brockport.edu/bursar, and select “Forms Center.”
- There will be a second series of account adjustments in the coming months representing applicable course-related fees and parking permit charges. Those adjustments will be applied to the Spring 2020 term only. Any additional refunds will be disseminated to students at that time.
Should you need to speak with campus student service offices, please use the following contact information:
Registration & Records
Your SUNY Brockport community is here for you during this challenging time. Our commitment to helping you remain safe and successful is unwavering. We encourage you to reach out to us as needed. Be well!
Vice President for Administration and Finance