Sun, Dec 16, 2018 — 4:44 pm
Maintenance Assistant in Facilities – Employment Opportunity
Perform routine, repetitive maintenance, installation, and repair tasks in one or a combination of the mechanical, building construction, motor equipment, and electrical trades. Performs journey level activities, under supervision or after receiving detailed instructions, to learn and perfect their skills. Performs the activities of this class with considerable independence when supervision is not available and are expected to perform routine activities with considerable independence.
Identifies, removes, packs, transports, or disposes of hazardous materials including asbestos, lead-based paint, waste oil, fuel, and more. Assists in the process of asbestos removal projects to facilitate repairs. Handles various types of hazardous materials such as: asbestos, refrigerants, gas, fuel oil, solvents, and more. Works in confined space situations using personal protective equipment.
• Performs daily inspections of facilities to identify a wide variety of building maintenance tasks or deficiencies needing attention in various zones.
• Performs corrective actions to identified facilities deficiencies, and/or reports maintenance concerns requiring skilled trades to the appropriate supervisor. Corrective actions include but are not limited to: semi-skilled tasks of the structural, locksmith, mechanical/plumbing and HVAC/R trades as well as basic electrical work and architectural finishes.
• Assists skilled trades’ persons when needed.
• Reviews the Footprints work order system daily and provides appropriate feedback via Footprints.
• Performs snow removal tasks as assigned.
• Performs routine and emergency tasks involving scheduled/unscheduled overtime.
• Removes asbestos during projects and facilitates repairs.
• Handles various types of hazardous materials such as: asbestos, refrigerants, gas, fuel oil, solvents, and more.
• Works in confined space situations using personal protective equipment.
• Uses/wears personal protective equipment when necessary.
Two years of experience in maintenance or mechanical work under the supervision of a skilled trade’s worker or completion of an appropriate two-year technical school course.
• Technical training/education in related skills.
• Skilled in one or more trades.
• Demonstrates computer literacy.
• Willingness to learn new skills.
• Has knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Possesses knowledge of safety standards and procedures.
• Has knowledge of applicable codes and regulations for the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Can read plans, specifications, manuals, and blueprints.
• Performs moderate to heavy manual labor.
• Understands and carries out written and oral instructions.
• Supervises others.
• Can climb ladders and work at heights on scaffolds and platforms.
• Uses the tools, machines, equipment, and materials of the trade or trades to which assigned.
• Has the ability to operate a motor vehicle.
• Is able to work holidays, scheduled/unscheduled overtime, shift work and college special events.
• Is able to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Is able to alternate in different zones (buildings) as needed.
• Possesses effective and respectful interpersonal skills.
• At minimum, has a High School Diploma or GED.
• Possesses a valid NYS Driver License.
Please apply on-line at www.jobs.brockport.edu and submit a cover letter, resume and three professional references by December 10, 2018.
Employment at The College at Brockport is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and final budgetary approval.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at email@example.com.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.