Carl R. O'Connor, MBA, (he, him, his)
- Assistant Director for Housing
Office: Thompson Hall 126
- M.B.A., SUNY Oswego
- M.S.Ed. in Adolescent Social Studies Education, SUNY Brockport
- B.S. in History / Education, SUNY Brockport
Marion, New York
Number of Years at Brockport:
Since August of 2007.
What do you love about Brockport?
It's a small school in a small town. Being as small as it is, it allowed me to get close with both my professors and other school staff members. It really allowed me to start my networking off right!
What's the best part of your job?
Seeing as I originally wanted to work with adolescents in the public school setting, this job allows me to work with these same students in the newest stage of their lives.
What do you do for fun?
- being outdoors
- traveling (I've been to both Europe and Asia)
- meeting new/interesting people
- going to the movies
- attending sporting events (mostly basketball)
Any advice for first year students?
NETWORK-NETWORK-NETWORK!!! You never know when you are going to need a favor from someone on campus. Usually your professor or a Residential Life staff member could help connect you where you need to go. Also, take risks and try new things (This is the time to explore and interact!).
Most memorable program at Brockport:
During my second year as a resident assistant, another RA and I presented at the annual RA Conference. The title of our presentation was "Take this job and shove it!" The point of the program was to inform RA's about burn-out on the job. We were thinking we wouldn't get that many people to attend. To our shock and surprise, the room was PACKED!!
"Life is a highway, ride it all night long " - Tom Cochran
- BASC Board of Directors
- President, Brockport Alumni Association
- Boy Scouts of America- Eagle Scout
- Order of the Arrow
- American Historical Society
- SUNY- RLHA
- NYS Certified, 5-12 Social Studies Education
- IMS Higher Education Emergency Response