Use of State Vehicles

Main Page Content

Category Name: Administration and Operations
Responsible Unit: Facilities
Responsible VP: VP for Administration and Finance
Adoption Date: Unavailable
Last Revision Date:
Last Review Date:
Shared governance: none

Policy Statement

State-owned, privately owned, or rental vehicles for which transportation costs are to be reimbursed by the SUNY College at Brockport, will be used only for official College business.

When available, State-owned or rental vehicles will be used for Official College business rather than privately owned vehicles except where there are compelling reasons for doing otherwise. When a privately owned vehicle is used for Official College business, the mileage reimbursement rate may not exceed that approved by the State Comptroller.




There are no definitions for this policy at this time.

Policy Procedures

General Policy and Procedures

1. State-owned vehicles will be operated in accordance with the guidelines, which is located in the glove compartment of each State-owned passenger vehicle.

2. When using a personal or rental vehicle, operators must adhere to the guidelines established by the Office of General Services Bureau of Insurance.

3. Student-owned vehicles may not be used for official College business.

4. All designated drivers of State-owned vehicles must have valid driver's licenses. They must be an employee of New York State or under contractual agreement with New York State.

5. Whenever a State-owned vehicle is requested, its destination and driver must be clearly designated on the Vehicle Request form.

6. State-owned vehicles may be used for transporting students only for the purpose of field trips required for an instructional or research program or to intercollegiate competitions in such fields as athletics, communication, theater, and other social, cultural, and educational programs authorized by the President or his designee, provided such trips are accompanied by a member of the campus staff. This campus staff member's name is to be indicated on the Vehicle Request form. State-owned vehicles may also be used for the transfer of students for medical care when deemed appropriate by Health Center or University Police.

Procedures for Obtaining State-Owned Vehicles

1. Vehicles owned by the State and assigned to the College are reserved in the Office of Facilities and Planning in the west end of the Commissary.

2. Requests for vehicle reservation must be made by completing the Vehicle Request Form and submitting it to the Office of Facilities and Planning. A request form must be completed prior to securing a vehicle. Assignments for vehicles are made on a first come, first served basis.

3. State employees or authorized groups using a State-owned vehicle must have a valid driver's license, be physically competent, and be properly authorized to use the vehicle. The Office of Facilities and Planning is charged with controlling the use and assignment of State vehicles. In view of this, the Office of Facilities and Planning staff is authorized to request pertinent documents and information from the users of State vehicles. Vehicles will not be released until these documents have been submitted.

4. On the day of the trip, the authorized driver secures the keys from the Office of Facilities and Planning. For weekend trips, keys must be obtained before the close of business on Friday.

5. On return from the trip, the authorized driver will return the vehicle to the designated location at the Commissary building. The vehicle keys and fully completed Vehicle Request form with all receipts for gasoline, service to vehicles, E-Z pass electronic tag are to be delivered to the Office of Facilities and Planning during regular business hours. If returning after hours, travelers are to use the "key drop" located in the garage door

6. Any accidents, including names of witnesses, are to be reported to the Director of Procurement and Payment, 5th Floor Allen Building.

7. All charges for use of State-owned vehicles relating to official College business or by approved University-related groups will be charged against department budgets or billed directly plus administrative overhead if applicable. If a bill direct invoice is overdue, the department or approved University-related group may forfeit privilege of the use of a state vehicle.

8. The department or approved University-related groups will be responsible for the cost replacement of the E-Z pass electronic tag it is lost, damaged or stolen while it is in the possession of the authorized driver.

9. The operator of a state vehicle is personally responsible for payment of any traffic violations received while in possession of a state vehicle.

Links to Related Procedures and Information

There are no links for this policy at this time.

Contact Information

There is no contact information for this policy at this time.

History (in descending order)

Item Date Explanation
Next Review Date December 1, 2017 Three-year review
Adoption Date Unavailable Policy Adopted


Last Updated 10/5/21