|Category Name:||Business & Financial|
|Responsible Unit:||Finance & Management; JPBC|
|Responsible VP:||VP for Administration and Finance|
|Adoption Date:||August 15, 2019|
|Last Revision Date:|
|Last Review Date:|
|Shared governance: none|
This campus policy defines the review, assessment, modification, and submission of the College’s Broad Based, Local and Course-Related fees and a limited number of certain optional student charges in accordance with SUNY policies and guidelines. The Campus-Based Fee Committee, a subcommittee of the Joint Planning and Budget Committee, is responsible for the review, assessment, and submission of the College’s Broad-Based, Local and Course-Related fees, as well as certain optional student charges.
The purpose of this policy is to ensure a consistent annual review of Broad-Based Fees, Local Fees, Course-Related Fees, certain optional student charge requests, recommended changes and/or additions in fee levels and fee policy, and to convey the review to the Joint Planning and Budget Committee.
The policy applies to all Broad-Based, Local and Course-Related fees, as well as a limited number of optional student charges.
There are no definitions at this time.
The Campus-Based Fee Committee will:
I. Annually review and endorse the following:
- Broad-based fees, including but not limited to:
- Athletic Fee
- Brockport Student Government Fee
- College Fee
- Technology Fee
- Transportation Fee
- Student Health Fee
- Student Recreation Fee
- Local fees, including but not limited to:
- Alumni Fee
- Career Services Fee
- Parking Fees
The review process will include:
- Sending the Broad-Based Fee Call letter to the parties responsible for each fee/charge.
- Presentations by responsible parties to:
- The Campus-Based Fee Committee
- A College Open Forum on Fees
- The Brockport Student Government
- A vote by the Campus-Fee Committee to endorse or not endorse the proposed fees, as presented.
- A summary report of all presentations and voting outcomes delivered by the Co-chairs of the Campus-Based Fee Committee to the Joint Planning and Budget Committee.
- Summary of fee requests and results of JPBC deliberations, presented to the President’s Cabinet.
II. Bi-annually evaluate current campus fee assessment, waiver and exemption guidelines.
The Campus-Based Fee Committee will consider re-assessment, waiver, and exemption of all fees in consideration of the delivery location, format, and degree level of the various programs.
The Campus-Based Fee Committee will deliberate with the following information:
- Specific information about what each fee provides.
- Benchmarking of fee assessments, waivers, and exemptions with respect to other SUNY comprehensive colleges.
- Summaries of the most frequent comments from students/parents about assessed fees.
- Programmatic impact on programs that reduce or eliminate fees.
The Process will include:
- Providing a presentation to the Joint Planning and Budget Committee.
- Providing a recommendation summary to President’s Cabinet.
III. Evaluate requests for new broad based fees and charges.
The Fee Committee will accept new proposals for new Broad-Based fees, Local fees and optional student charges according to the following process:
1. Accept applications using forms/methods similar to those used for course-related fees.
2. Evaluate the merit of the proposed Broad-Based fee, Local fee or optional student charges.
3. If supported/endorsed by the Campus-Based Fee Committee, share the proposal with the Joint Planning and Budget Committee.
4. If supported/endorsed by the Joint Planning and Budget Committee, submit the proposal to the President’s Cabinet.
5. Upon approval by Cabinet/President, submit to SUNY for final approval and filing.
IV. Evaluate new requests for, or increases to, existing course-related fees.
The Fee Committee will review and approve new or increased course-related fees annually, according to the following process:
- Calls for new course-related fees, or increases to existing course-related fees, are sent to the Deans, who then forward to Chairs/Directors.
- Chairs submit new or increased course-related fee requests to the Deans.
- If approved by the Deans, the new or increased course-related fee requests are sent to the Budgeting Office.
- Once vetted by the Budgeting Office, the new or increased course-related fees are reviewed by the members of the Campus-Based Fee Committee.
- The Fee Committee members may ask for clarification from the Chairs/Directors, as needed.
- If supported/endorsed, the Co-chairs of the Campus-Based Fee Committee send the proposal to the Joint Planning and Budget Committee.
- If supported/endorsed by the Joint Planning and Budget Committee, the Co-chairs of the Campus-Based Fee Committee send the proposal to President’s Cabinet.
- Upon approval by Cabinet/President, submit to SUNY for final approval and filing.
Links to Related Procedures and Information
History (in descending order)
|Next Review Date||08/15/22||Three year review|
|Adoption Date||08/15/19||Policy Adopted|
|Draft Review Date||07/15/19||Draft Policy under 30-day Campus Review|
This policy is approved by:
July 7, 2019