|Responsible Unit:||Office of Administration and Finance / BASC|
|Responsible Cabinet Member:||VP for Administration and Finance|
|Last Revision Date:||2022-11-16|
|Last Review Date:||2022-11-16|
The College Bookstore services are contracted with Barnes and Noble through BASC.
The College Bookstore is SUNY Brockport’s exclusive retail buyer and seller of all required, recommended, or suggested course materials and supplies, including the following:
- Books delivered in all formats (digital, rental, new, or used)
- Course packs, interactive, or other courseware
- Computer software containing learning content
- Textbook rentals
- Open educational resources (OER) available for purchase
- Student study aids, tools, and solutions
- Materials published or distributed electronically (through the LMS, sold over the Internet, or through hosted e-commerce links)
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that the College Bookstore communicates with faculty and stocks all required, recommended, or suggested course materials in a timely manner to set our students up for success and for the campus to meet Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) requirements.
This policy applies to the College Bookstore and faculty, as both parties are responsible for ensuring that course materials are available for students in a timely manner.
AIP – Adoptions and Insights Portal
BASC – Brockport Auxiliary Service Corporation
HEOA – Higher Education Opportunity Act
Textbook Ordering Procedures:
- It is the policy of the College that required texts for all courses must be available at the on-campus bookstore for all students. This policy recognizes the fact that many students use financial aid to defer the cost of textbooks. In addition, early adoption ensures that students are eligible to receive top dollar for textbooks, which they sell back to the College Bookstore.
- The College Bookstore will communicate the course materials adoption process to faculty. Faculty will complete the adoption process through the BNC Adoptions and Insights Portal (AIP), which must include all required and recommended texts as well as any required supplies. In order to meet the HEOA textbook provision, all faculty must provide textbook information for the classes that they are scheduled to teach by the deadlines communicated through emails sent via AIP to their brockport.edu address.
Faculty members requiring no texts must mark the course as such in AIP for the College Bookstore to account for all courses.
The purpose of the HEOA textbook provision is to ensure that students have access to affordable course materials by decreasing costs to students and enhancing transparency and disclosure with respect to the selection, purchase, sale, and use of course materials. Each institution of higher education receiving Federal financial assistance must, by the time registration opens, enable students to view the textbooks (and other supplemental materials) that will be required for the course.
- The College Bookstore will provide timely reports to faculty members of the status of their orders for books, supplies, etc. for their respective courses, including items discovered to be unavailable, delayed in delivery, new editions, etc.
- Arrangements for desk copies are the responsibility of the individual instructor. Publishers require instructors to contact them directly and will not allow the College Bookstore to acquire desk copies on behalf of instructors.
- Faculty ordering required classroom supplies must adhere to the guidelines for course material requisitions.
- Problems with textbook ordering should be reported to the College Bookstore Course Materials Manager at (585) 395-2557, the College Bookstore manager at (585) 395-2554, or the Executive Director of the Brockport Auxiliary Service Corporation at (585) 395-2497.
Links to Related Procedures and Information
The College Bookstore is located in the Seymour College Union; please visit their webpage for additional information, including hours of operation.
History (in descending order)
|Next Review Date||2027-11-16||Five-year review|
|Revision Date||2022-11-16||Updated entire policy|
|Adoption Date||Unavailable||Policy Adopted|
This policy is approved by: