Main Page Content
Policy on Incomplete Grades
Please read the below policy on Incomplete Grades and when you will need to fill out a Incomplete Contract Form.
Blank Incomplete Contract Form
Blank Incomplete Contract forms are available online by accessing the secure documents link (the last link listed under faculty services) in your Campus Information System (Banner) account.
Blank Incomplete Contract forms are also available in each academic department office or from the Office of Registration and Records. Academic policy regarding an incomplete grade requires that the instructor and the student shall develop and sign an Incomplete Contract indicating:
- The student's name and Banner ID number
- The CRN, course subject code, number, section and title
- The semester and year in which the course was taken
- The work still remaining to be completed
- The pre-determined completion date for the remaining work
- The alternate grade to be assigned if the work is not completed by that date
- The student's signature and date
- The instructor's and department chairperson's signatures and date
After Completing the Form
- Submit the white (top) copy of the completed contract to the Office of Registration and Records via email
- Give the gold (bottom) copy to the student. If there is no carbon copy, please make a copy for the student.
- The instructor should retain the remaining yellow and pink (middle) copies until a final grade has been determined.
- Once the final grade has been determined, the instructor should:
- Note the final grade on the remaining yellow/pink copies
- Have the department chairperson's sign the form
- Submit it to the Office of Registration and Records to post the final grade. Again, if there are no carbon copies, please create and retain copies for your records.
Consequence of not Completing the Form on Time
If the student does not complete the required work by the completion date indicated on the Incomplete Contract, or the instructor has not filled an official extension on the student's behalf, the Office of Registration and Records will assign the alternate grade.
If an alternate grade is not indicated on the contract, or the work is not completed by the end of the following semester, or if there is no official contract extension on file, the Office of Registration and Records will lapse the final grade to an "E" (failing).
The instructor may grant an extension of the contract only in a situation where completion of the required work is not possible due to circumstances beyond the student's control. These extensions shall not exceed the equivalent of one additional semester. Incomplete extension forms must be filed with the Office of Registration and Records in these instances to prevent posting of the alternate grade or lapsing the final grade to an "E".
- An "I" grade received for a fall course must be completed by the end of the following spring semester.
- An "I" grade received for any spring or summer course must be completed by the end of the following fall semester.