Main Page Content

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I add/drop/withdraw from a course?

See our course registration webpage for in depth details on this question.

How do I register for independent/directed study?

You cannot register for independent/directed study online. You can apply for independent/directed by contacting the instructor of the course you wish to take and they will begin the application process on your behalf. Applications should be submitted by the regular add period deadline to avoid a late fee.

Undergraduate Eligibility

  • 54 or more completed semester hours (junior status)
  • An established Brockport cumulative GPA – you must have completed at least one semester at The College at Brockport
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher

Graduate Eligibility

  • Have completed six credits of course work at the graduate level
  • Be able to demonstrate adequate background for the area in which the course is to be taken
  • Independent Study must not exceed six credits and must be identified as either liberal arts or professional credit

Can I repeat a course for a higher grade?

Undergraduate students may repeat any course to attempt to achieve a higher grade. Although, when a course is repeated, only the grade earned in the latest attempt will count toward the student's GPA regardless of whether the grade is higher or lower.

Unless otherwise prohibited by departmental policy, graduate students are permitted to repeat courses in which they have earned a grade below “B.” For financial aid purposes, repeating a course for which a graduate student earned a grade of “C” or better won’t be counted as part of the full-time course load unless the program requires a grade higher than the previous one.

How do I audit a course?

Auditing a course allows a person to regularly attend and participate in a course at the College without formally registering for the course. This is the only method that a person not receiving credit, but registered for the course are allowed to regularly attend and participate in class.

You may only audit a course if you are a full-time student student at Brockport or a citizen of New York State over the age of 60.

Instructions to Apply

  1. Obtain an "Agreement to Audit a Course" form from the Office of Registration and Records
  2. Obtain the course instructor’s approval of the auditing arrangement on the form in advance
  3. Submit the completed “Agreement to Audit a Course” form to the Office of Registration and Records
  4. A copy of the completed audit form will be placed in the permanent file for registered students only

Please note: The instructor may cancel the auditing agreement if the course enrollment capacity is exceeded.

When can I register for courses?

See our Dates and Deadlines for more information on each registration opportunity.

  • Major Reservation
  • Advance Registration
  • Open Registration
  • Late Registration

What is a credit load?

A credit load is the number of maximum credits a student is allowed to pursue each semester (this varies for special sessions). Your credit load is determined by the number of credits you have earned by the end of the previous semester.

Completed Credits (GPA Requirement) Maximum Credits Allowed
0–14 (N/A) 18
15–23 (3.00 GPA) 19
24–53 (2.75 GPA) 19
54–83 (2.5 GPA) 20
84–98 (2.00 GPA) 20

99+ (2.00 GPA)


Credit loads for a summer session max out at 16 at the undergraduate level and 15 at the graduate level.

How can I view my grades online?

  1.  Access Web Banner
  2. Enter your NetID and Password (no hyphens, dashes or slashes).
  3. Click on Student Services
  4. Click on Student Records
  5. Click on Final Grades (Make sure that you have chosen the appropriate term)

What is Degree Works?

View our Degree Works webpage for information on Degree Works.

Last Updated 10/27/20

Close mobile navigation